Our History

SISTERS OF THE CROSS OF CHAVANOD OUR HERITAGE

The Congregation of the Sisters of the Cross had its humble beginnings in the year 1838 in a small village called Chavanod in the beautiful mountains regions of Haute Savoie in France. The situation created by the French Revolution (1789-1797) and the Industrialization of Europe (1750-1830) affected very much the socio-economic and political conditions of France and especially the regions of Savoie.

At this time, there lived at Chavanod, in the service of the presbytery, a pious, energetic and devoted person: Claudine Echernier. She was a native of Feternes, a small village of Chablais, and belonged to an extremely poor family. Having lost her mother at the early age of 15, she had to bring up her little brothers and sisters and could leave her home only when she was 27 years old. In the presbytery of Chavanod, she began to gather around her, children and young girls of the parish, in order to teach them reading, writing and catechism.

Fr. Peter Mermier, a zealous priest and Founder of the Missionaries of St. Francis de Sales was deeply moved by the poverty and illiteracy that prevailed among the poor in the society and he sought for ways and means to remedy the situation. He envisaged the founding of a new type of religious congregation which would permit poor young girls to live a consecrated life in the midst of the world. At the time of the Mission he preached at Chavanod in 1838, he met Claudine Echernier. Some of the girls who came to her every Sunday were animated by the fervour that she communicated and yearned to dedicate themselves totally to God and to the service of His people.

A BLAZE WITH LOVE FOR JESUS CRUCIFIED………

The Congregation of The Sisters of the Cross of Chavanod is an Apostolic Religious institute which is international and of pontifical right spread across fourteen countries & four countries.

Our Founders placed us under “The standards of the Cross” ( Fr. Mermier) “to make the Good God known and loved” (Claudine Echernier).

Rallying under the standard of the Holy Cross, we , the Sisters of the Cross participate joyfully in the mystery of Jesus dead and risen , and work together for the glory of God and the salvation of all. Each according to her freedom and capacity.

Strengthened by the Passion of Christ , we bear vibrant witness to the Merciful Love of the Father and the Liberating Power of the Paschal Mystery by our simple , joyous and evangelical life , in diverse milieus.

The Cross of Christ traces for us a way of growth, to receive the fullness of God’s gift , enabling us to help all people to open themselves to the grace of the Passion of Christ, a power always at work in the world.

adminOur History